Social insurance system

The Japanese social insurance system is supported by pension and public medical insurance. The pension is divided into three programs - the national pension program, the welfare pension program and the mutual aid pension program. In regards to public medical insurance, everyone who lives in Japan is obliged to be enrolled in either a health insurance program for persons employed by a company or business establishment or the National Health Insurance Program for persons who are not eligible for any employment-based health insurance program. Health insurance cards are issued to people who have joined the programs, and they pay 10%, 20%, or 30% of medical costs depending on their age when receiving medical care at a hospital or clinic due to illness or injury. Details of individual insurance programs are listed below.

People covered by employment-based health insurance

Employees of companies and business establishments (the joining process for the health insurance programs and the premium payments are carried out by the companies/business establishments on behalf of the applicant.)

People covered by national health insurance

People who are not covered by employment-based health insurance
Registered residents of a town
Those who have registered as a foreign resident and were initially approved to live in Japan for over three months.
Those who have registered as foreign residents and are going to live in Japan for over three months.

Cases that are not covered by the national insurance policies

The following cases are not regarded to be illnesses and are not covered by national insurance policies: Health checkups, vaccinations, normal pregnancy and delivery, orthodontics, cosmetic surgery and abortion for non health-related reasons. In addition, benefits are limited for injury due to a deliberate crime, deliberate injury, fighting or drunkenness, and for cases in which people do not follow the instructions of the doctor or insurer. Illness and injury at work are covered by worker's compensation insurance. Please contact your place of employment or the Town Council for further details.
Please be aware that when you move from Niseko Town to another village, town, or city in Japan or you move overseas, your insurance will no longer be valid and you will not be able to use your insurance certificate.

Cases in which benefits are paid at a later date

When seeing a doctor without a health insurance card, such as when receiving medical care due to an accident.
At a hospital or clinic that does not deal with national health insurance (the patient is required to settle all initial medical costs).
After settling the initial medical costs, the patient can apply for the healthcare benefit by completing the necessary documents at the Town Council. There will be an examination of the applicant's eligibility to receive the benefit excluding the portion which is to be settled by the applicant after the treatment. If the self-pay cost is deemed too expensive for the applicant to pay and at the application stage, support in relation to the payment of this portion of medical costs is approved, the amount over and above the limit will be refunded to the applicant at a later date.

In event of a traffic accident or any injury incurred from a third party

Be sure to report to the Town Council if you have a traffic accident or sustain injury by a third party. If you accept medical costs from someone who has injured you without reporting this, you may find that you are not covered by insurance. Before accepting any funds, please consult with an official at the Town Council.

Procedures for joining/withdrawing from the national health insurance program

 EventItems required for notification
Joining procedureWhen registering residency statusResidence card, passport and seal (if any)
When moving in from another municipalityChange of address certificate (tenshutsu shomeisho), seal and residency card)
When withdrawing from an employment-based health insurance programDocument certifying withdrawal from a health insurance program, seal and residency card
When a child is bornMaternal and child health handbook and seal
Withdrawal procedureWhen moving out to another municipalityHealth insurance card and seal
When joining an employment-based heath insurance program, etc.Health insurance cards for both national employment-based programs and seal
At deathDeceased's health insurance card, death certificate and seal
・Please report to the Town Council within 14 days if any of the above occur

Self-pay ratio of medical expenses

Under 3 years old20%
3-69 years old30%
70 years and older10% (30% for those who have a certain level of income)
・The insured will receive a lump-sum payment for child raising expenses when a child is born, and funeral allowances at death.


Medical service-related inquiries

Niseko Town Council Tel. 0136-44-2121 Health and Medical Service Section, Health and Welfare Division

Inquiries in English

 Niseko Town Council Tel. 0136-44-2121  Planning and Environment Division